Managers often have to run their department with a reduced head count whilst maintaining the SLA’s demanded by the business.
This drive to continually reduce costs has forced them to come up with some elegant, and sometimes drastic solutions. These include:
- Reduction in Real Estate – this leads to a drive to more mobile and home working
- Managed Services and Outsourcing – contract out a particular service or an entire department or function
- Shared Services – share the cost and responsibility for some specific Local Government services with other Local authorities. This can drive economies of scale with suppliers
- Shared Infrastructure -Rack Space and Data Centre estate for example in order to reduce overheads within one
- Shared Resources – Shared Infrastructures, Rack Space etc. to reduce other heads within one authority and brings in additional income within a save secure infrastructure.
- Shared Working – Authorities are also finding ways to deliver services not only within a Shared Service but working with each other to reduce costs to meet particular IT Infrastructure or Application Projects.
- Generate revenue – some forward-thinking authorities have been able to generate revenue by providing services to other authorities, specifiically selling skills and knowledge in specialist areas
Despite the current climate of cost and resource issues, Local Government IT Managers and Directors are being asked to address the following high priority issues:
- Cyber Security – driven by the constant threat of Cyber Security attack, this is very high on Corporate Risk Logs due to the potential ongoing threats to business.
- PSN – working to very tight and demanding business requirements to ensure authorities meet their annual accreditation. This issue is compounded by the fact that authorities are now sharing more data between authorities than ever before
- Disaster Recovery (DR) and Business Continuity (BC) – high priority as the public expect to be able to access services all the time and at their convenience
Through our work with several local authorities such as Dacorum Borough Council, Mole Valley District Council and North Hertfordshire District Council we have been able to support them through these challenging times.
The areas where Xpertex deliver the most savings and value are:
- Public Services Network (PSN) – Our consultants have the experience and appropriate clearance levels to design and build accredited solutions that conform to the PSN Code of Connection (CoCo)
- Mobile Working – Mobility and remote working are key strategies to deliver cost savings and our wealth of experience in delivering secure, mobile solutions in both central and local Government organisations have ensured that users are able to work whether they are in the office, on the road or even at home
- Managed Services – We can provide retained support and Managed Services to supplement or compliment the internal technical teams.
- Cyber Security – Xpertex are a Cyber Essentials accredited organisation. We are able to audit organisations against the Cyber Security controls (5 or 20, depending on the size and security posture of the organisation) and all of our solutions are designed with these controls built-in.
- DR and BC – Xpertex Cloud and Private Cloud Solutions help to deliver the resilience and availability of services that the public demand